Mac-on-Linux?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 09:46:24 MST 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:50:27 -0600, Joshua Wehner
<josh.wehner at ultratec.com> wrote:
> I think I'm starting to understand MOL a little better, but I'm not any
> closer to a solutioin: I still just get a blank black screen when I try
> to startmol.
>
> 1) I finally realized that I needed a MacOS partition. That wasn't
> clear before.
> 2) So, I re-installed MacOS 8.6 and YDL 4.0 from scratch.
> 3) I've got a HFS partition on /dev/hdb6 now. And I've altered
> molrc.macos to make it rw and bootable, and the only partition (since
> it should be the only HFS partition).

I just looked back through your thread and I didn't see any comment
about molvconfig -- since there were some settings in that part of
your molrc file I presume you ran the utility, but I'm mentioning it
because it stumped me for quite awhile -- on this PowerBook G3 Series
("Wallstreet/PDQ") It took me awhile to learn how to run MOL full
screen -- I had to learn how to switch among virtual terminals. Since
you say you see a "black screen" I'm going to assume you know how to
switch among the terminals (which can get confusing sometimes). You
might run it again and see if you can get the settings close to the
ones you use in Mac OS. Try to make the color depth pretty similar to
the settings you use in X windows, and try setting the Mac monitor
settings to something smaller than you normally use, if you intend MOL
to run in a window.

Since you said you installed Mac OS 8.6 "from scratch," I presume the
directory doesn't have a problem, but it doesn't hurt to run Disk
First Aid (when booted under Mac OS). IF you were running HFS+ I might
also suggest trying the hpfsck utility (part of the hfsplus package)
from linux to see if it sees a problem with the volume. I don't think
the equivalent utility exists for HFS.

Have you installed the hfsutils package? You might try using hmount to
mount the directory, hdir to look at it and humount to umount the
directory. (Those commands don't act like "normal" mount and umount
commands.)

If you have a the Mac volume defined in /etc/fstab be sure you don't
have the Mac volume mounted in linux when trying to run MOL -- that
can cause all sorts of confusion. I have both my HFS and HFSPLUS
volumes in fstab, but I don't mount them by default AND I have the
boot drive set  read-only just in case. (I cannot copy files to and
from the HFS partition without permission problems, but that's
something I haven't worked hard to figure out yet. Now that I think
about it, I bet I can use hmount and hcopy to move the files around
without trouble.)

Here's what I have for those lines in my /etc/fstab -- maybe not ideal
but it mostly works:

#
/dev/hda11      /mac/shared     hfs     defaults,user,noauto,rw 0       0
/dev/hda10      /mac/os9        hfsplus defaults,user,noauto,ro 0       0

P.S.: I'm running Debian so it's very possible there's a difference in
the default configurations in the Debian package of MOL -- I was VERY
lucky that mine ran correctly the first time I tried. Good luck!