Mac-on-Linux?

Joshua Wehner josh.wehner at ultratec.com
Fri Feb 25 10:07:09 MST 2005

On Feb 25, 2005, at 10:46 AM, Tommy Trussell wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:50:27 -0600, Joshua Wehner
> <josh.wehner at ultratec.com> wrote:
>> I think I'm starting to understand MOL a little better, but I'm not
>> any
>> closer to a solutioin: I still just get a blank black screen when I
>> try
>> to startmol.
>>
>> 1) I finally realized that I needed a MacOS partition. That wasn't
>> clear before.
>> 2) So, I re-installed MacOS 8.6 and YDL 4.0 from scratch.
>> 3) I've got a HFS partition on /dev/hdb6 now. And I've altered
>> molrc.macos to make it rw and bootable, and the only partition (since
>> it should be the only HFS partition).
>
> I just looked back through your thread and I didn't see any comment
> about molvconfig -- since there were some settings in that part of
> your molrc file I presume you ran the utility...

I did run molvconfig. I just ran it again to make sure, and tested
every single video mode available. No dramatic change in my results.

However, when I say "blank black screen", I mean that the video seems
to shift into console mode, but nothing after that. What is worth
nothing, though, is I do see the end ("*** DONE *** ") of the video
probe on that screen, if I've run the probe recently.

> but I'm mentioning it because it stumped me for quite awhile -- on
> this PowerBook G3 Series ("Wallstreet/PDQ") It took me awhile to learn
> how to run MOL full screen -- I had to learn how to switch among
> virtual terminals. Since you say you see a "black screen" I'm going to
> assume you know how to switch among the terminals (which can get
> confusing sometimes). You might run it again and see if you can get
> the settings close to the ones you use in Mac OS. Try to make the
> color depth pretty similar to the settings you use in X windows, and
> try setting the Mac monitor
> settings to something smaller than you normally use, if you intend MOL
> to run in a window.

Hmmm. I don't know that I have a strong preference on window vs. full
screen. Right now, I'd just like to get *something*; I can wrestle with
preferences after.

> Since you said you installed Mac OS 8.6 "from scratch," I presume the
> directory doesn't have a problem, but it doesn't hurt to run Disk
> First Aid (when booted under Mac OS). IF you were running HFS+ I might
> also suggest trying the hpfsck utility (part of the hfsplus package)
> from linux to see if it sees a problem with the volume. I don't think
> the equivalent utility exists for HFS.

I can try that.

> Have you installed the hfsutils package? You might try using hmount to
> mount the directory, hdir to look at it and humount to umount the
> directory. (Those commands don't act like "normal" mount and umount
> commands.)

The hfsutils seem to be installed. I can hmount it, but nothing shows
on an ls. That's a little weird, but I guess I don't know that hfsutils
is supposed to be able to read the drive... ?

> If you have a the Mac volume defined in /etc/fstab be sure you don't
> have the Mac volume mounted in linux when trying to run MOL -- that
> can cause all sorts of confusion. I have both my HFS and HFSPLUS
> volumes in fstab, but I don't mount them by default AND I have the
> boot drive set  read-only just in case. (I cannot copy files to and
> from the HFS partition without permission problems, but that's
> something I haven't worked hard to figure out yet. Now that I think
> about it, I bet I can use hmount and hcopy to move the files around
> without trouble.)

None of the MacOS/hfs partitions are mounted at boot, neither are
listed in fstab. None of them have been mounted when I tried startmol.
(Though, if you're looking back in the thread, there was a while there
where I didn't have an HFS partition *at all*.)

Thanks for your help!

-- Joshua