Mac-on-Linux?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 10:29:50 MST 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:19:27 -0600, Joshua Wehner
<josh.wehner at ultratec.com> wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2005, at 11:07 AM, Joshua Wehner wrote:
> [root at MarComm mnt]# mkdir /mnt/mac1
> [root at MarComm mnt]# hmount /dev/hdb6 /mnt/mac1
> Volume name is "Mac OS 9"
> Volume was created on Thu Feb 24 13:56:26 2005
> Volume was last modified on Fri Feb 25 11:09:28 2005
> Volume has 1503321088 bytes free
> [root at MarComm mnt]# cd /mnt/mac1
> [root at MarComm mac1]# ls
> [root at MarComm mac1]# ls -la
> total 8
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Feb 25 11:13 .
> drwxr-xr-x  5 root root 4096 Feb 25 11:13 ..
> [root at MarComm mac1]#
>
> The Volume name is indeed "Mac OS 9", so that's right. I'm not sure why
> I can't see anything there, though? Could that be the source of MOL's
> problems?

No, probably not -- as I mentioned before, the hfsutils commands don't
act like normal linux commands. When you hmount a volume, note in the
man page that it doesn't ask for a mount point -- it's not mounted as
far as linux is concerned.

SO what you do is hmount the volume, and to see what's on it you use
the hls command and to copy you use hcopy and then when you're done
you humount. Using those utilities, the volume never becomes a mount
point in linux, but you can get things from it. In Debian there's an
hfsutils man page -- try "man hfsutils" and maybe it can give you some
hints. But since hmount didn't give you an error it's probably OK.