MOL reports "File is too large. Failed to load mkext!" with MacOSX 10.3.7

Matthew Denner matt.denner at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 00:23:59 MDT 2005

On 7/5/05, Matthew Denner <matt.denner at gmail.com> wrote:
> You semi-rock!  This works around the issue I was seeing with MOL
> 0.9.71pre1 (the Gentoo ebuild I have) booting the CD, but
> unfortunately the OSX install says "Bundled Software cannot be
> installed on this computer".  I increased the file partition size to
> 1GB but that didn't help.  Anybody any ideas why that might be?

When I start mol with 'startmol --osx --cdboot' and look in the
Installer log, it has the following errors (having to type these by
hand so ignore typos, if you know there are any!):

root: error: can't obtain properties.
last message repeated 2 times

It does the same if I 'startmol --osx' which, because I don't have an
OSX install yet, causes the CD to boot.

I've tried with a file parition that is unformatted, and I've tried
using the OSX Disk Utility to partition it too.  The installer says it
is version 1.4.4 (v253.4).

When I open the Disk Utility and come back to the Installer log I see:

root: 2005-07-04 23:19:03.843 Installer[113] ("-AppleLanguages",
"(English)", "-NSDisabledCharacterPaletteMenuItem", YES)
root: bootstrap_look_up(): unknown error code
root: bootstrap_look_up(): unknown error code

I tried choosing a different startup disk, in which I only got the CD
and "Network Startup".  Without picking a startup disk, and going back
to the Installer log I see:

root: nvram: Error (-1) getting variable - 'boot-device'
root: nvram: Error (-1) getting variable - 'boot-device'
root: Could not parse output from /usr/sbin/nvram
root: nvram: Error (-1) getting variable - 'boot-device'
root: nvram: Error (-1) getting variable - 'boot-device'
root: Could not parse output from /usr/sbin/nvram
root: 2005-07-04 23:06:10.937 Startup Disk[122] Error setting the Startup Disk.

And choosing a different startup disk (the CD) just causes MOL to
exit, which I assume is just because the Installer sends a reset and
MOL doesn't interpret it other than a halt.

Matt