MOL reports "File is too large. Failed to load mkext!" with MacOSX 10.3.7

Mattias Nissler mattias.nissler at gmx.de
Tue Jul 5 02:33:38 MDT 2005

Hi again,

On 05.07.2005, at 08:23, Matthew Denner wrote:

> On 7/5/05, Matthew Denner <matt.denner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You semi-rock!  This works around the issue I was seeing with MOL
>> 0.9.71pre1 (the Gentoo ebuild I have) booting the CD, but
>> unfortunately the OSX install says "Bundled Software cannot be
>> installed on this computer".  I increased the file partition size to
>> 1GB but that didn't help.  Anybody any ideas why that might be?

I really don't know. Does the "cannot be installed" error pop out of
the installer window?

If so, I guess the next step would be to find out why the
installation package is actually complaining. As I don't have your
install CD and mine (10.3.0) works, I can only tell you where I would
look: You will have to locate the installation packages on the CD.
They are just folders named ending in .pkg or .mpkg I guess you
should search through the whole disc to find the "Bundled Software
cannot be installed" string. If you don't find that, I am probably
heading the wrong way, sorry then ;-)

If you found something, it should be in one of those packages. There
should be a directory structure in each of them, look at Contents/
Resources of your package. There might be a file called
InstallationCheck which is run by the installer in order to determine
whether the package can be installed. If you are lucky it is a shell
script, so you can read and try to find out what is going on.

Well, I didn't try this with an installation CD, but maybe it gives
you some hints.

Another workaround would probably be to install OS X natively onto a
small harddisk partition and then use that for MOL or to transfer it
to an image file after that.

Good luck,

Mattiass