Linux on Linux binary

Dan Potter bard at allusion.net
Fri Jun 10 21:14:21 MDT 2005

This is still pretty raw but here are some binaries and source diffs:

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=141006

I haven't really made any changes to the hosted Linux kernel patches
except to let it adjust the line numbers so they match up with a
stock 2.4.31 kernel. Here are the files:

- linux-2.4.31-mol-bin.tar.bz2:
This is a package with a complete config / kernel / yaboot /
yaboot.conf / guest kernel modules. So pretty much everything you
need to get going except an updated version of MOL.

- linux-2.4.31-mol-config:
The .config I configured the binary kernel from. A whole lot of stuff
is disabled. Should have the common root FSes compiled in (reiser,
ext3) and most of the rest in modules.

- mol-diffs-2.6.11-host.diff:
I had some difficulties building a bleeding edge MOL for my 2.6.11
kernel running on the host machine. So here are some diffs for the
things I changed. I dunno if they're really relevant or just me
screwing up. :) I think there are some similar changes that need to
be done to tun.c to make it compile (look at the diffs for sheep.c)
but for some reason diff doesn't find it.

- mollinux-2.4.31-diff.gz:
You should be able to apply these to a stock 2.4.31 Linux kernel from
kernel.org and get the source tree used to build the binaries above.
(Plus one extra addition: I made the Makefile have a -mol extraversion).

Here is my config in case anyone has troubles duplicating my setup:
- Blue and White G3, upgraded to G4/500 and ATA/133 controller
- Debian sid for PPC
- 2.6.11 host kernel which I configured and built / installed using
make-kpkg
- MOL from rsync of a couple of days ago, plus the patches above.
- Raw HD partition used for guest OS, pre-formatted with reiser and a
cp -av of the host Debian system

Using this setup I'm able to get some pretty good results. If anyone
has any troubles / questions / etc, feel free to post / email. I'm
still debating with myself about whether I'll stick with this setup
for my servers or use my existing x86 machine with something like
Xen. :) So if I decide not to do much more on this I'll be happy to
hand over the SourceForge project to someone else too.