Multiple sessions

Romeyn Prescott prescor at digirom.potsdam.edu
Fri Mar 18 17:59:24 MST 2005

Hi there,

I'm having some trouble figuring out how to get multiple users to be
able to log into my box and run their own MOL sessions.  Here's the
scenario:

- G4 with plenty of RAM
- Separate HD with a partition for each user.  For the purpose of
discussion, let's say there are three users: User1, User2, and User3
assigned /dev/hda10, /dev/hda12, and /dev/hda14 respectively.  Each
of these partitions has a separate OS X installation on it.

What I want is for User1 to login via ssh (with X forwarding) and,
when running startmol, get his own partition.

Here's what I've been able to glean from messing with the config
files.  I have two ideas:

1) Somehow modify the session.map file to create a new session that
references a different molrc file for each user.  e.g. 'startmol -6'
would invoke session 6 which would point to /etc/mol/molrc.User1.  I
have tried this, but get a "bad boot_method value" error.  Not sure
what's wrong here...

2) Use the --alt switch, but I'm not sure how/where to specify WHICH
alternate configuration on a per-user basis, or if it's even possible.

Thoughts?
...ROMeyn
--
signat-url: http://www2.potsdam.edu/prescor/signat-url.htm