Welcome Back Samuel!

Samuel Rydh samuel at ibrium.se
Tue May 17 10:29:06 MDT 2005

On Mon, May 17, 1999 at 12:11:35PM -0500, Thomas Morris wrote:
> Hello Samuel,
>
> YAY! Thank you so much! I am a former executive for Genesi usa. (Pegasos)
> You are a very talented coder and many people appreciate your work. Alot of
> us were worried you abandoned this project. Can I ask the following:
>
> 1. What is the reason Tiger doesnt work?

Well, I haven't tried it. I suspect there might be problems with
either:

- the OSX side acceleration stuff (nothing to do with graphics, just
hacks to avoid BAT register emulation overhead).

- the bootloader (it might need some adjustments)

> 2. Can we get better sound? i.e. less cpu usage

Sound is quite tricky due to the hard real time requirements OS X
imposes; I was pretty satisfied with the performance I got last
time I worked with this subsystem though.

I'll have a look though. Things might have changed a bit with newer versions
of ALSA etc.

> 3. Didnt Sven Luther discuss some ways on getting 3d working with MOL with
> you? Is this viable?

Well, 3d within MOL is quite tricky. There are two paths forward,

a) replace the OSX side library with something which passes request
through to the linux side.

b) write drivers for a virtual 3D graphics card. (Unfortunately, the
API is not public; at least not last time I checked.)

c) emulate a real 3D graphics card (also tricky; it is not easy
to get hold of specs).