Multi-user?

Samuel Rydh samuel at ibrium.se
Fri May 20 16:06:05 MDT 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 03:23:22PM -0400, Romeyn Prescott wrote:
> What I want is for this box to be a "MOL Server" for my group.  From
> their Linux boxes, they should be able to 'ssh -X' in and fire up
> MOL.  This much works fine, but I'm having trouble figuringout how to
> ensure that user1 boots to his own partition, user2 to his, etc.  I'm
> sure the /etc/mol/session.map file holds the key to this, but I have
> not been able to figure it out.  I envision that user1 would execute
> "startmol -#" where "#" is some session number I have defined to use
> user1's molrc file.
>
> Does any of this make sense?  Can anyone help?

The following will configure all session for Mac OS X:

/etc/mol/session.map:
---------------------------------------
deny: all
allow: admin1, admin2

ifempty ${session} {
        session: 0
}
ifeq ${session} 0 {
        allow: david
}
ifeq ${session} 1 {
        allow: samuel, other_user
}
boot_type: osx
include ${etc}/molrc.osx
--------------------------------------

Each users would have to start mol using his or hers private
session number, i.e.

        [david]  startmol -0
        [samuel] startmol -1

In /etc/mol/molrc.osx (and possible in some of the other files
as well) you would typically make some session specific settings

specific settings:

ifeq ${session} 0 {
        blkdev:         diskimage.0 -rw -boot
}
ifeq ${session} 1 {
        blkdev:         diskimage.1 -rw -boot
}

The avove could have been written simpler as

        blkdev:         diskimage.${session} -rw -boot

Unfortunately, there is currently no way around the fact that
each user has to know his or hers session number (but starting
another user's session won't work).

Hope this helps,