Is anyone running OS X 10.4 x86?

Dan Potter bard at allusion.net
Tue Oct 4 00:36:57 MDT 2005

On Oct 3, 2005, at 4:40 PM, Michael Moore wrote:

> I agree with Hex Star here. Anything we can do which won't force Apple
> to be a Microsoft is probably a good thing. Anything that we do that
> could endanger the MOL project is probably a bad thing (such as making
> it a discussion board for where to get software Illegally.).

It's also waaay, waaaay off topic for this list. MOL has nothing to
do with OSX x86, despite being about MacOS. Might be cool to
eventually sub in x86 support, but: a) you could already do that,
just not for OSX; and b) it would just be another virtual machine at
that point, like Xen. The interesting thing about MOL is that it is
PPC based. My guess is that once OSX x86 is really out, the real
interest will lie in something like Xen and a modified Darwin kernel.

Downloading OSX x86 may or may not be stealing, but it is definitely
disrespecting their licenses, and it's because of licenses that
things like Linux can exist the way they do (GPL). People get
themselves in a fervor whenever someone breaks the GPL and includes
code into their proprietary product... the reverse respect is only
fair even if you disagree with it.

> If you have a need for OSX x86, and can't afford it, there are places
> you can go and rent time on them by the hour. If you've got a really
> good reason to need it, you can probably find a sponsor.

Actually that's not legal either, last I heard from Apple (2nd or 3rd
hand, but still). They were even telling people no who wanted to pool
to buy one and share it. NDAs and all that.