ibookg4 tiger dvd and mol (yes, the partition is fine..)

Andreas Liebschner fizban at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 08:28:29 MST 2006

Hi guys,

I'm kinda new to the mac world, anyway I wiped out macosx on my
ibookg4 to make room for linux, installed linux then mol. MOL seems to
run just fine, however I can't get it to install tiger.

Given that for some weird reason I can not boot the dvd directly and
make a common installation (I think the DVD is somehow fubar'd, it
only boots from MOL and won't boot from mac-mini or ibook), I start
mol with -X --cdboot, the DVD boots just fine but when I'm given the
"Mac OSX Installation" appears and when it's supposed to drive me
trought the actual install procedure I'm given an error that in
english sounds like "Warning. The software can't be installed in this
computer".

I read a lot of posts concerning tiger installation in MOL, so let me
say that the partition is > 8GB, so that shouldn't be the problem.
Reading the installation logs I see nothing weird, just some
"installation check failure" (even if I pick up "show all" in that
window, I don't get anything interesting or actually usefull).

So, I have no idea on what's wrong.. I'm using the DVD that came with
the Ibook G4, might this be the problem? I'm guessing it's a specific
DVD that wouldn't install on machines other than ibooks? I say this
because if I try a mac-mini dvd on the ibook (not in mol) I get the
same error message. So if this is the problem, is there any way hack
it and have "MOL" to look like a "Powerbook whatever" (I forgot what
the computer model for an ibook g4 would be)? I mean, in system
profiler it shows up as a mac computer, but the model is "MOL", hence
the mismatch and the error message (at least I guess so)

I know it would be easier to go to the apple store and beat them up
for giving me a DVD that won't boot, and asking another one, but hey..
it does boot in MOL :)

Thanks for any hint or help you may give me

--
-Andreas Liebschner