Sound problems with MOL on an OldWorld G3

Risto Suominen risto.suominen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 06:06:54 MST 2006

Hello all,

I installed MOL 0.9.70 on my OldWorld PowerMac G3. It seems usable,
but the sound doesn't work. I run Ubuntu 4.10 with kernel 2.6.8.1, and
I compiled MOL from source. The problems are dependent on the guest
operating system:

To be able to get Mac OS 9 to boot, I had to extract the ROM from
another machine, a PowerMac 7600. With it, and oftree.8500, it boots
with 'startmol --oldworld'. I put the Mol-audio extension to the
Extensions folder. Maybe this was wrong? Is it only for NewWorld
machines? Because when I start the Sound Control Panel, I get an error
message on the linux terminal window, something like: Cannot find
mol-audio node. I assume this refers to an oftree node. And: Cannot
route interrupt for mol-audio. I don't remember the exact words.

With OS X 10.2 I'm somehow closer to success. Maybe the machine is
just too slow (233 MHz). I tried to produce sound by playing an MP3 in
iTunes. When about 3 min. of a total of 3:15 has gone, unexpectedly,
the sound starts, first in small pieces, and getting better.

In both cases, I get no startboing. I tried with different versions,
with and without OSS and ALSA, when compiling MOL. I have both ALSA
modules and ALSA-OSS compatibility layer loaded in the kernel. Am I
alone trying to run MOL on an OldWorld Mac? Any help and ideas are
welcome.

Regards,
Risto Suominen