Sound problems with MOL on an OldWorld G3

Risto Suominen risto.suominen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 04:52:55 MST 2006

Thanks for the advice. It's good to see that there is hope. Well, I've
done progress:

To begin with, there is no Mac OS ROM in the System Folder. The whole
disk was an OS 9 partition. So I copied its contents over to an atalk
server, re-partitioned the disk to make room for Linux, and copied
everything back. I don't think the file, even if hidden, would have
disappeared in this procedure? Maybe the installation process makes a
decision of putting it there depending on the machine? At least my
machine boots to OS 9 without it. And yes, the sound works.

Then, to get rid of the --oldworld option, while keeping my working OS
9 installation, I created a virtual disk and installed OS 9.1. In this
case there is a Mac OS ROM. Maybe the installer now sees a different
machine (virtual MOL). Still, it won't boot, no bootable disk, it
says, unless I copy Mac OS ROM over to Linux and supply newworld_rom
option in molrc.macos. And now the sound works inside MOL (startmol
--alt).

One thing I was worried over is that the resource fork of Mac OS ROM
disappeared when copied over to Linux. It seems it doesn't matter.

But the performance could be better, I think I have to look at that
niceness patch...

I have the default of 'any' as sound.driver in molrc.sound, and MOL
seems to prefer OSS instead of directly using ALSA. Maybe I'll try to
force it...

Risto