Sound problems with MOL on an OldWorld G3

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 12:42:36 MST 2006

On 1/26/06, Risto Suominen <risto.suominen at gmail.com> wrote:
> One thing I was worried over is that the resource fork of Mac OS ROM
> disappeared when copied over to Linux. It seems it doesn't matter.

I'm running Mac OS 9.2.2, and ResEdit reports the file has1120 bytes
in the resource fork, and 2578126 bytes in the data fork. The resource
fork seems to contain mostly version strings... apparently mine is ROM
version 8.7, and is associated with Mac OS 9.2.2.

It's been years since I even tried installing the Mac OS "by hand" (by
copying files). Even though it's a major pain I recommend using
Apple's installer to make sure you have a proper bootable disk with
all the drivers and patches the OS expects. You can deselect many of
the options to save some space. It also runs Disk First Aid to check
the integrity of the disk. That's very important, actually.

I don't recommend running 9.0 much at all -- it has serious bugs that
can corrupt the drive.

As long as you have any version of Mac OS 9 (whatever came with the
Mac, for instance) you can upgrade for "free" all the way to 9.2.2
using installers downloadable from Apple. (Unfortunately you can't go
straight from 9 to 9.2.2 -- you have to do it in stages.)