[powerstation-owners] SLOF serial console baud rate

Adrian Reber adrian at lisas.de
Wed Dec 10 00:17:44 MST 2008

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 10:57:00PM -0800, Roland McGrath wrote:
> I have the Bimini with SLOF.  Is there a way to tell the firmware to use a
> different baud rate for the serial console?

You can download the source code and recompile it with different
settings. It is not possible to change the rate once it is built.
The 19200 is hardcoded in the very early startup code.

> All my other serial consoles are at 115200, and when doing huge tracing
> output on a serial console, the faster the better and it really makes a
> difference.  I can of course still tell Linux to use 115200 for its serial
> console, but it's nice to have a single console line and speed that always
> works for both the firmware console and OS console.

Yes, 115200 would be nice. The reason for 19200 is that the same image
can also be used on JS20/JS21 and there 19200 is required. It could be
easily changed to detect the hardware and do 115200 for the
PowerStation, but the BMC serial console is also hardcoded at 19200 and
I do not know if we can change that. So this is the main reason to stay
at 19200 because the BMC serial output is coming on the same port and to
change the rate every time the jumper is changed would also by annoying.

If you want, I can tell you the exact location of the hardcoded 19200 rate.

		Adrian