[powerstation-owners] troubleshooting non-booting powerstation

Pattrick Hueper phueper at hueper.net
Wed Nov 19 14:32:09 MST 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 10:19 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at redhat.com> wrote:
> Ah. This sort of starts to make some sense. I've got a 19" 1280x1024 LCD
> hooked up, but its on the far side of a kvm. Now, the kvm *does* do DDC,
> and is set to report a max resolution of 1280x1024, but its given other
> boxes issues from time to time as well -- not issues quite this bad, but
> issues (such as X not being able to run the optimal resolution, none of
> this entirely disabling the output stuff :). I'm doing an install on the
> machine right now, but will see what I can see with a direct connection
> to a monitor in a bit. Interestingly (maybe), an older IBM
> IntelliStation on the same kvm has no such issues. Obviously different
> firmware though, and a different video card to boot (Matrox G450, iirc).

Hm, that sounds like it could be it... i cant remember ever having
hooked a KVM to the Graphics card, please try with direct monitor
connection.

>> Yes, if a keyboard is found and no input is found from serial,  the
>> keyboard is selected as input device... you could detach the keyboard,
>> and only attach it once linux is up... or press some keys on the
>> serial console during boot _before_ the keyboard is detected, that
>> should direct the input to serial.
>
> Hrm, that's a bit wonky. Why doesn't it enable both?

I think there is only on default input property in the device tree,
and thats what it uses... if it detects a keyboard it _assumes_ thats
what you want to use (probably the default for most users)... except
if you do enter something on the serial, then it assumes you want to
use serial.

Pattrick