[powerstation-owners] troubleshooting non-booting powerstation

Jarod Wilson jarod at redhat.com
Wed Nov 19 15:04:29 MST 2008

Pattrick Hueper wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 10:19 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Ah. This sort of starts to make some sense. I've got a 19" 1280x1024 LCD
>> hooked up, but its on the far side of a kvm. Now, the kvm *does* do DDC,
>> and is set to report a max resolution of 1280x1024, but its given other
>> boxes issues from time to time as well -- not issues quite this bad, but
>> issues (such as X not being able to run the optimal resolution, none of
>> this entirely disabling the output stuff :). I'm doing an install on the
>> machine right now, but will see what I can see with a direct connection
>> to a monitor in a bit. Interestingly (maybe), an older IBM
>> IntelliStation on the same kvm has no such issues. Obviously different
>> firmware though, and a different video card to boot (Matrox G450, iirc).
>>

> Hm, that sounds like it could be it... i cant remember ever having
> hooked a KVM to the Graphics card, please try with direct monitor
> connection.

Hooked to the kvm, I get:
VGA Device found: /pciex/pci at 0/vga at 0 initializing...
  VGA initialization: detecting displays...
   VGA initialization done.

Hooked directly to the same monitor, I get:
VGA Device found: /pciex/pci at 0/vga at 0 initializing...
  VGA initialization: detecting displays...
    display 0 found...created.
    display 1 found...created.
VGA initialization done.

So yeah, that was the answer there.

>>> Yes, if a keyboard is found and no input is found from serial,  the
>>> keyboard is selected as input device... you could detach the keyboard,
>>> and only attach it once linux is up... or press some keys on the
>>> serial console during boot _before_ the keyboard is detected, that
>>> should direct the input to serial.
>> Hrm, that's a bit wonky. Why doesn't it enable both?
>
> I think there is only on default input property in the device tree,
> and thats what it uses... if it detects a keyboard it _assumes_ thats
> what you want to use (probably the default for most users)... except
> if you do enter something on the serial, then it assumes you want to
> use serial.

Got it. Meh. Whatever. Will mostly be ssh'ing in once I have it actually
set up anyway. :)

Remaining things I need to figure out:

1) how to set auto-boot to true
2) how to configure a RAID array