[powerstation-owners] Upgrading memory

Adrian Reber adrian at lisas.de
Sat Nov 29 04:25:30 MST 2008

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 11:19:51AM +0000, Mel Gorman wrote:
> This is an embarassingly stupid question but how is the memory meant to
> be upgraded in these machines? I replaced the two old DIMMs with two of
> what should be similar type;
>
> 2 x 2GB 667MHz DDR2 P2-5300 ECC REG with Parity CL5, 240 pin Dual rank.
>
> On boot-up, it says
>
> JS2XBlade Starting
>  Build Date = Jul 22 2008 17:16:18
>  FW Version = JX-1.7.0-3
>  Check ROM  = OK
>  Press "s" to enter Open Firmware.
>
> U4 DDR2 memory controller setup V2.1
> ------------------------------------
> > detected board              : BIMINI
> > detected DIMM configuration :
>   [ERROR -> wrong DIMM organisation in bank 0]
>   [ERROR -> wrong DIMM organisation in bank 0]
> > initialization failure.
>
> I haven't been able to find a motherboard manual to determine if anything
> else is required for an upgrade, what the correct type of memory is or if
> there is a specific part required.

I would assume you probably have "by 8" (x8) DIMMs, because looking at
the code it says it only supports x4 DIMMS.

       /*
         * check DIMM compatibility
         * configuration is 128 bit data/128 bit bus
         * -all DIMMs must be organized as x4
         * -all DIMMs must be 72 bit wide with ECC
         * -all DIMMs must be registered DIMMs (RDIMMs)
         * -paired DIMMs must have the same # of ranks, size & organization
         */

[...]

        /*
         * check valid DIMM organisation (must be x4)
         */
        e = 0;
        for( i = 0; i < m_dcnt_u32; i++ ) {

                if( ( m_dptr[i]->m_orgmsk_u32 & DIMM_ORG_x4 ) == 0 ) {
                        #ifdef U4_DEBUG
                        printf( "\r\n  [ERROR -> wrong DIMM organisation in bank %u]",
                                m_dptr[i]->m_bank_u32 );
                        #endif
                        e++;
                }

        }

		Adrian

--
Adrian Reber <adrian at lisas.de>            http://lisas.de/~adrian/
Leela: "Well, it's a type M planet, so it should at least have