[powerstation-owners] Testing and OF question ...

Stefan Nürnberger nuernbe at TU-Cottbus.DE
Wed Oct 29 11:53:31 MDT 2008

> I know that 2.6.28-rc1 will corrupt the NVRAM on some PPC64 machines and
> it's possible the powerstations are affected as well. I haven't tested on
> mine as I only found that this bug only affects mainline today and am in the
> process of pinning down when this occured. It also impacts SLES 11 Beta 2
> and SLES 11 Beta 3. The symptons are that you cannot find your boot-loader
> any more and it drops you to a management console (not OF). The workaround
> on the ppc64 boxes I've seen this problem on is to
>
> 1. Go to OF prompt
> 2. dev nvram
> 3. wipe-nvram
> 4. Machine reboots and select an older kernel
>
> I don't know what affect this will have on the powerstation though so try
> it at your own risk if you reckon the problem applies. The "workaround"
> is to upgrade the firmware but I'm rattling a few cages to see can I find
> a better explanation for the problem.

Uh oh, that does not sound good. I was about to try the -rc1 .. glad I
didn't ;)

> [1] Aside from this, I used the powerstation as a desktop for a few days. It
> was pretty sweet but I couldn't deal with the noise of the CPU fans in the long
> term. When I use the box, I put it outside the house to dampen the noise. Is
> this a general problem? I tried replacing the fans in case it was the bearings,
> but it doesn't help as they just spin up too fast under the lighest of loads.

Yes, the noise was recognized here, too. The specs from TSS say
something about the board having a BMC from Renesas (H8S/2166 I
believe). It should be possible to communicate with it for hardware
monitoring (temperatures, fan speeds, ...) and adjust the fan speed
accordingly. It should be an I2C interface. However, I couldn't find any
information about that. The pre-installed YDL apparently didn't use any
power management features, either.

Stefan