Problems: YD-2.2 and DRI/agpgart/r128

Carl Potter yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Apr 1 15:03:01 2002

Hello all,

Here's a little report on my adventures in trying to get full accel &
DRI going on YD 2.2:

Machine:  iBook Rev.C 466MHz (last of the clamshell models)

Xconfigurator correctly detects my card and will ask if you'd like to
use accelerrated video features.  I selected yes.  You'll get this on
startx:

    (EE) R128(0): [dri] R128DRIScreenInit failed (depth 15 not
supported).
    [dri] Disabling DRI.
    (EE) R128(0): Memory manager initialization to (0,0) (400,8191)
failed

I told it to do 16bit, not 15.  So I changed the depth in XF86Config-4.
Now when you startx you get:

    (EE) R128(0): Memory manager initialization to (0,0) (400,3112)
failed

So I have a look at XF86Config-4 again and notice in Section "Device":

    Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Card0"
        Option         "UseFBDev"
        Driver          "ati"  # <-- needs to be "r128"
        VendorName      "ATI"
        BusID         "PCI:0:16:0"
    EndSection

The driver shouldn't be "ati", it should be "r128".  So I change that as

well.

I also went ahead and put this in:

Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
EndSection

No dice.  At this point I think it now was bitching about not having
an agpgart module.  YD 2.2 didn't come with an agpgart module already
compiled, so I went ahead and made new kernel & modules using their
source.

>From here on X will now launch with full accel/DRI/Xv goodness,
BUT ONLY AS ROOT (X as root is useless to me).  Launching X as normal
user gets you the same old error.

I found that adding my normal username to the root group now enabled me
to launch X in all its glory.

So everything's great now except for a stability issue.  I'm just now
getting to the endurance testing part, but so far it seems that
prolonged use of accelerrated 3D with agpgart.o inserted will cause X
lockups.  In YD-2.1 I was able to launch X and get accel video/3D with
just "r128" module alone.  I always had random lockups using agpgart in
YD-2.1, so maybe it's still an issue with YD-2.2.  That said, I cannot
use r128 without agpgart in YD-2.2.  You must use them both for any
accel at all.

I'm hoping I can figure this out.  If I can't I must revert to YD-2.1
(or
maybe try to install XF86 4.1 instead of 4.2).

Any ideas on this would be cool.

Thanks,

Carl