MySQL install from source??

Christopher Murtagh yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 3 00:03:01 2002

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Åke Svensson wrote:
>Yes, it's tricky but I think I got the permissions right. What seems to
>be one of my problems is the file structure compared to the old
>mysql-xxxxx.ppc.rpm that came iwth YDL 2.0. It's a huge difference and
>neither I or YDL 2.0 seem to sort it out. What to do? (I'll delve into
>the manuals once again)

 Honestly, if you don't *need* MySQL (ie you aren't re-installing the
database for an existing code base), I would strongly suggest using
PostgreSQL. It install's very easily from source, has far more features
than MySQL (subqueries, transactions, triggers, stored procedures, and
much more) and is very robust, fast and unlike MySQL passes the ACID test
(http://www.archwing.com/technet/technet_ACID.html).

 FWIW, our web site (www.mcgill.ca) is built entirely around PHP and
PostgreSQL, and to date it has been fantastic to work with.

 Then again, if you're installing MySQL because you have some App that is
built for it, then this isn't great advice for you.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh