MySQL vs PostgreSQL (was "RE: MySQL install from source??")

Pete Peters yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 3 03:14:02 2002

Chris,

First of all, thanks for the ACID test link. Very interesting.

I eventually plan to install one of those database programs on my Linux box
for my own learning and edification. I'm curious. Would you consider MySQL
vs PostgreSQL similar to MS Access vs MS SQL or Filemaker vs 4D?

Thanks.

Pete
-----------------------------------
Pete Peters <ppeters914@attbi.com
Seattle, WA
-----------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
[mailto:yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com]On Behalf
Of Christopher Murtagh
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 5:59 AM
To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Subject: Re: MySQL install from source??

[snip]

 Honestly, if you don't *need* MySQL (ie you aren't re-installing the
database for an existing code base), I would strongly suggest using
PostgreSQL. It install's very easily from source, has far more features
than MySQL (subqueries, transactions, triggers, stored procedures, and
much more) and is very robust, fast and unlike MySQL passes the ACID test
(http://www.archwing.com/technet/technet_ACID.html).

 FWIW, our web site (www.mcgill.ca) is built entirely around PHP and
PostgreSQL, and to date it has been fantastic to work with.

 Then again, if you're installing MySQL because you have some App that is
built for it, then this isn't great advice for you.