MySQL vs PostgreSQL (was "RE: MySQL install from source??")

Christopher Murtagh yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 3 04:02:02 2002

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Pete Peters wrote:
>I eventually plan to install one of those database programs on my Linux
>box for my own learning and edification. I'm curious. Would you consider
>MySQL vs PostgreSQL similar to MS Access vs MS SQL or Filemaker vs 4D?

 I really can't say. The only databases I've used are MySQL, PostgreSQL,
Oracle and FileMaker.

 However, I find it really hard to compare MySQL with PostgreSQL as they
are really in different classes. MySQL is closer to a flat file scheme
with a limited SQL interface, whereas PostgreSQL is much closer to Oracle,
and is considered by some to be an Oracle competitor.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh