DVD playback - Choppy?

Shawn Coomey yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 3 22:39:01 2002

Hi folks-
Hope this hasn't been asked a ton of times before... can't search the
lists.:(

I have a B&W G3 tower (DVD drive, Rage128 card) and a Powerbook G3
Lombard (DVD drive, RagePro card, I believe.). Both machines are using
kernel 2.4.18 and Xine 0.9.8 with the dmd 1.0.2 plugin handling the CSS
decoding and Xvideo enabled.

Under Mac OS 9, these machines handled DVD playback flawlessly.
In Linux, both machines do not. (2-5 FPS). Sound is fine, but playback
is just terrible. I've also tried VLC with libcss with the same outcome.
If it's of any help, Xine outputs these messages in the term window all
over the place:

video_out: rejected, 8 frames to skip
video_out: rejected, 6 frames to skip
video_out: rejected, 8 frames to skip

Has anyone gotten decent DVD playback on either of these machines? In my
experience with Linux, this is perhaps the most frustrating!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn