DVD playback - Choppy?

Carl Potter yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 4 01:49:01 2002

I played around with DVD and did a lot of testing.

machine:  iBook (toilet seat edition) 466MHz Rage128/DVD

I don't think it really improved anything to have agpgart & DRI.
Nor did /dev/rdvd seem to do anything really significant.  The most
important factor seems to be Xv and the following:

"motion compensation" is *apparently* only done on systems that
have an Altivec processor (I read that somewhere in the code).  Whatever
the case may be, motion compensation is NOT being done on G3s.

I get better DVD playback on an Intel Celeron 400MHz with an
ATI All-in-Wonder 4mb (oldie but a goodie) ......mainly because MMX-like
optimizations are
doing the motion compensation algorithm.  Apparently this algorithm
does not do well using plain-jane CPU routines.

I don't own a G4 so I don't know how much better DVD playback is.
I'm curious to know if anyone can indeed report that motion compensation
is being done on those systems.