Is anyone else having kernel problems?

Iain Stevenson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Apr 8 13:49:01 2002

I've been having real problems with kernels lately - so much so that I
yhink it needs to be flagged for users.  Specifically, for late 2.4.17 thru
2.4.19 kernels:

- a number of the 2.4.19pre kernels fail to build
- several, including benh versions have been unstable
- a couple failed to boot (dropping into the debugger at cron or swapper
tasks)
- one created a filesystem error
- another started spewing garbage out of the imap socket after a week

This is BAD and can only make people very wary of Linux in general.  Does
anyone know the status of work to iron these problems out?  My system is a
9600 with PowerLogix processor upgrade booting from SCSI but running Linux
from an IDE RAID array off a Sonnet card.

  Iain