WHOSE kernel?

Chip Witt yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 9 11:29:01 2002

Romeyn,

Kernel configuration and compilation isn't as much a "black art" as
everyone makes it out to be. With a little patience, careful planning,
and knowledge of one's hardware, it can be a fun and educational
experience. Within the kernel source there is README and INSTALL
documentation, that if read several times, provides detailed insight
into how to go about getting a configured kernel to boot. This makes
getting a bootable kernel much easier than it was in yesteryear, when
the documentation was terse and largely unintelligible to the novice
geek. Configuration is the harder part, as you need to have some
understanding of your hardware and the kernel configurations and modules
required to make your equipment funtion properly. This requires a bit of
experimentation under normal circumstances, but so long as you take care
to keep a working kernel available from your boot menu (via your
configuration of yaboot.conf), this isn't as dangerous as it sounds.

If you want to benefit from the latest kernels, but don't want to roll
your own, an excellent site (for PPC) is ppckernel.org. Ben H.'s kernel
is there, among others, in a pre-compiled, downloadable format. The
"drop-in" installation instructions are available at this site as well.
This also gives you the ability to download the kernel source and see
the .config file used to build their working kernels. Very helpful if
you're just getting started.

On what's special about BenH's kernel: Ben seems to take pride in
staying on the fringe with configs that work "better than stock" for
newer Apple hardware. His contributions have consistently been welcomed
into the mature kernel source tree over time, but getting your hands on
his development kernels allows you access to some feature sets earlier
than they would otherwise be available. Although I would not recommend
contacting Ben directly for basic/novice config questions (for Ben's
sake), Ben has always taken the time to respond via email to me when
I've encountered problems that were either undocumented or unresolvable
in relation to a particular portion of his kernel's config. I mention
this only because it speaks well to Ben's character and his overall
concern for the PPC community on the whole. If it's not obvious, I use
benh kernels on my machine, and have been for the last six months or so
without problem. I started with the prebuilts on the ppckernel.org
website, and quickly made my jump to custom configs based on my needs
and the requirements of the hardware on which I work.

Best of luck to you. Happy Hacking!

CW

--

Chip Witt
Sr. Network Administrator

463 Aviation Blvd.
Santa Rosa, CA  95403
(V) 707-284-7237
(F) 707-591-9413
(E) chip.witt@westwave.com

        "Today, wealth is no longer best defined
        as ownership of land, goods, capital or
        labor. It is knowledge and knowing how to
        use it."

                              Peter Drucker, 1988