Convince me that Yellowdog is the Linux for me!

Eric D. yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 9 12:10:01 2002

on 9/4/02 12:56, Robert Brandtjen at rob@prometheusmedia.com wrote:

> On Tuesday 09 April 2002 10:55 am, aaron wrote:
>> I use there to be considerably more sluggish that OS X is on my Mac (G4 DP
>> 500 Mhz).  I don't think running a comtemporary  Linux of any sort is going
>> to give you a more responsive GUI on a G3 333 than OS X does (YD Linux 2.1
>> does feel more responsive on my Mac at home than OS X does).
>
> Thats wierd - mine does everything instantaneously and I mean instantly - how
> much ram do you have ?

On a B&W G3/450 (576 MB RAM, 16 MB VRAM) I find Linux to be quite sluggish
in drawing windows and switching apps (especially horrible when opening apps
(which happens frequently since Mozilla & Knoquerer ain't exactly the height
of stability :(. OS X can spin the wheel (especially the !@$!@# Finder piece
of crap application) at times but at least window refresh happen instantly
when requested.