Convince me that Yellowdog is the Linux for me!

Romain Kang yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 9 15:13:00 2002

> On a B&W G3/450 (576 MB RAM, 16 MB VRAM) I find Linux to be quite sluggish
> in drawing windows and switching apps (especially horrible when opening apps
> (which happens frequently since Mozilla & Knoquerer ain't exactly the height
> of stability :(. OS X can spin the wheel (especially the !@$!@# Finder piece
> of crap application) at times but at least window refresh happen instantly
> when requested.

Silly question time.  If you do "time cat /etc/termcap" inside rxvt,
how long does it take?  Before I fixed my X configuration, I recall
that it took over 12 seconds on my iceBook 500.  IIRC, the YDL
installer left the fbdev driver instead of using the native Mach*
driver.  However, the machine is at home and I'm at work, so I can't
check.

My experience is that you lose a good deal of function going from
OS X to YDL 2.1.  However, the improved responsiveness, programmability,
and the easier availability of free software more than made up the
difference for me.  If it had been easy to find the system APIs for
OS X, I might have stayed with it.

Romain