2.2 Upgrading Adventures

Hugh Caley yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 9 13:28:01 2002

Just thought someone might find my experiences useful.  I am writing
this from Mozilla under 2.2.

1. First try, I didn't reformat my paritions and so the installer
believed it was updating the old install.  Fine, except it then asked me
to confirm every single rpm it was going to update, and no option other
than to say "OK".  Then it started having problems with conflicts.  I
bailed on that one.

2. 2nd-nth trys:  Install seemed to go well along with re-partitioning
drive.  However, in no way would the yaboot-ybin installation work.
 Anyway, I tried it several times, gui and non-gui, and always the same
issue.  I finally got it to run by booting from CD, breaking into the
process by changing terminals, mounting the main disk by hand and
running ybin manually with my own yaboot.conf file specified.  From that
point I could boot the machine using Linux.

Other than that, went just peachey.  Runs pretty nicely so far.

Hugh