2.4.18+ 867 Mhz QuickSilver = totally crazy

man0negra yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 9 16:09:01 2002

hi,

i posted this afternoon, but it seems my postfix was not working in the
right way.

I installed yellowdog 2.2 this afternoon, i spent almost all day trying
to understand how to solve some problems.

Let me explain step by step:

I was using this machine (G4 867 nvidia Geforce superdrive ) with
yellowdog 2.1, using two different kernels : the 2.4.10-12 that came
with 2.1 relaese and a 2.4.16 i compiled by myself. the machine always
worked sweet, and i loved yellowdog.

Today i tried to install ydl 2.2 on a clean partition and the tragedy
began :))

first of all, there was no way to let the installer work using the gui
or the text based mode under 2.4.18 kernel.
it freezes everytime, randomly, without a good reason. I tried several
times to install, bu there's no way..
So i tried installing with the install-text22 and everything was fine,
it installed and all..
but...
the problem is that i have a nvidia graphi card and people who own that
card and use it under linux maybe can understand what that mean: it
means that it can hardly works with a 2.4.x kernel. So i started
recompiling the 2.4.18 sources shipped with ydl 2.2 . There was no way
to let it work, it always freezes, i tried to understand what was wrong
with it, but i was not able to understand..
so i took my 2.4.16 sources telling to myself they workes smooth..i
compiled..and all was fine except for one thing: at the boot the
/etc/init.d/network script fails to bring up loopback and eth0 interface
with an error i have seen for the first time in my life: Cannot send
dump request:connection refused

well, i recompiled several times telling myself i am stupid and so on
:))
there was no way...and i cannot find a reason to that error message:
cause if i bring it up manually with an ifconfig up lo and an ifconfig
up eth0 and then i set manually ips and netmasks and the route stuffs
everything work perfectly!!!

can someone help me with this issue? temporarily i have set up my own
 network startup script, but i would like to understand if someone
suffered the same problems

kisses and peace  (we need both nowadays)

--
on calvin.localdomain :)|  //\