2.4.18+ 867 Mhz QuickSilver = totally crazy

Chaz Kelsh yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 9 16:52:01 2002

The 2.4.18 kernel is definitely broken, at least for 867mhz
Quicksilvers. My Quicksilver has a 15" ADC display connected to its
GeForce2 MX. When I try to boot off my (purchased) YDL 2.2 CD with the
2.4.18 kernel, it always crashes silently at some point during startup
or the steps leading up to the actual installation. (The actual command
I type into yaboot is "install-gui hdc=ide-scsi".)

With the "install-text22" option, the installation works up to the
installation step, at which I select the "Everything" option and the
progress window appears. Here it stops silently, forcing a reboot. (The
install-gui22 option does the same thing. It isn't able to start X.)

My last option was the "hd-install". I copied ramdisk-x11.image.gz to
the drive at the root of every partition and in all OS 9 System Folders
(renamed to ramdisk.image.gz). Then I downloaded a kernel from
ppckernel.org and did the same thing (renaming it to vmlinux). At the
boot prompt yaboot prints this:

boot: hd-install
Please wait, loading kernel...
hd:2,\\vmlinux: Unknown or corrupt filesystem
boot:

Dan, do you think these problems are easily fixable? I would greatly
appreciate a 2.2.1 ISO that would boot and install (even if the install
was under the 2.2 kernel).

Thanks very much!

--
Chaz Kelsh