YDL 2.2 Upgrade instructions

Dan Burcaw yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 9 17:29:01 2002

> Dan,
>
> I'd like to volunteer!
>
> I have a new installation (last week) of 2.1 on a G4 and I won't mind
> if it gets zarched by your beta instructions.

Thanks for the offer.  I've tried to walk some people through
what I thought was the procedure, but there's some details
I am apparently overlooking.  On Thursday, I'm receiving my
new workstation so I'll have the ability to do a 2.1
install and try upgrading from 2.2 CD then.

Just FYI, an apt-get dist-upgrade from our FTP site *does work* right
now.  I just have to hash out a HOWTO for the CD method.  It is quite
doable as is evident from the apt-get from FTP upgrades working...

>From FTP, you need to install apt-get compiled for YDL 2.1.
I've already made an RPM.. grab:

http://www.terraplex.com/~dburcaw/apt-0.3.19cnc55-0.21.1b.ppc.rpm

Then, just do:

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

'update' pulls the database of packages and dependencies from the
server. It doesn't actually upgrade any packages.

'dist-upgrade' reads the database pulled from 'update' and upgrades
your system based on some rules for inter-version upgrading.

Normally, you would do: apt-get upgrade
if you just wanted to pull say, the latest bug fixes, etc.

Also, check out /etc/apt/sources.list

You can modify the entries for a mirror site if ftp.yellowdoglinux.com
is not very fast for you or is full, etc.

Remember, each time you change the entries in /etc/apt/sources.list, you
need to re-run: apt-get update

People with YDL 2.2 installed can grab the 2.2 compile of apt
from:

http://www.terraplex.com/~dburcaw/apt-0.3.19cnc55-1b.ppc.rpm
(if you apt-get dist-upgrade from 2.1 -> 2.2... the new version of
apt will auto-install for you... :-)