2.4.18+ 867 Mhz QuickSilver = totally crazy

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 9 20:59:00 2002

On Tue Apr 9 2002, man0negra wrote:

> but...
> the problem is that i have a nvidia graphi card and people who own that
> card and use it under linux maybe can understand what that mean: it
> means that it can hardly works with a 2.4.x kernel. So i started
> recompiling the 2.4.18 sources shipped with ydl 2.2 . There was no way
> to let it work, it always freezes, i tried to understand what was wrong
> with it, but i was not able to understand..

Hi,

I'm running 2.4.17pre2 on the 867 MHz G4 with no problems, and will be
switching to 2.4.18 shortly.  The key for me was not to build in the riva
FB driver in the kernel and just use the Open Firmware video.  I'm not
yet running X on these systems but I believe there is a special nv driver
from Ani Joshi, or maybe it's already been incorporated into XF 4.2 (I'll
be finding that out shortly as well).

						-Bill