YDL 2.2, hwclock & separate /usr partition: system clock changes btw. reboots

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 9 21:13:01 2002

On Tue Apr 9 2002, Jussi-Pekka Mantere wrote:

> When using a from scratch YDL 2.2 installation I noticed that my system
> clock kept changing by several hours between reboots. I had set up a
> separate /usr partition and when rc.sysinit reads the system clock with
> /sbin/hwclock --hctosys --localtime it doesn't have access to the time
> zone info as /etc/localtime is a symbolic link to
> /usr/share/zoneinfo/... and the file system isn't mounted when hwclock
> is run. When hwclock is run at shutdown, now with access to the zone
> info, it sets the hardware clock off by several hours (delta btw. the
> current system time zone and UTC.)

> The fix for this is to populate the /usr/share/zoneinfo directory on the
> root file system so that even without the /usr file system mounted the
> /etc/localtime symlink is still valid. Easiest way to do this is to boot
> into single user mode to do the copy:

Hi,

I ran into the same problem a while back.  My solution was:

	mv /etc/localtime /etc/localtime.orig
	cp /etc/localtime.orig /etc/localtime

This converts /etc/localtime to a real file.  BTW I believe there may
be related problems with the keyboard mapping files but those haven't
bitten me yet.

						-Bill