Convince me that Yellowdog is the Linux for me!

Romain Kang yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 9 21:15:01 2002

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 03:30:48PM -0600, Kimball Larsen wrote:
> Hmm.. time cat /etc/termcap takes 28.36 seconds for me inside a regular
> shell...

Hmm, so would that be gnome-terminal or xterm?  Anyone who's used
a good x86 distro would probably find that painfully slow.  On my
iceBook 500, "time cat /etc/termcap" rounded to the nearest 0.1
seconds reports:
	2.3s	xterm
	1.4s	rxvt
	0.6s	gnome-terminal

> What can I do to improve X even more?  You mention that before you fixed
> your X configuration, this command took a long time.  What did you fix?

In /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, you may see a section that begins
	Section "Device"
and has the lines
		Option "ShadowFB"      "true"
		Option "fbdev"         "/dev/fb0"
		Driver "fbdev"

I changed them to instead say
		Driver          "r128"
		Chipset         "ATI Rage 128 Mobility LE (PCI)"
		VendorName      "ATI"
		BusID   "PCI:0:16:0"

Obviously, this won't work unless that's your actual hardware.  If
you save your XF86Config-4 and run one of the standard XFree86
configurators, that should get you closer to the correct
"Device" declarations.

Romain