YDL 2.2 install on Pb3400c failure during partitioning

Jeff Brendle yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 10 09:18:00 2002

Howdy, folks. Was wondering if anyone could shed light on a problem
that I am having with the YDL text installer on this old Pb3400c ...
I follow the dual-boot/one-drive install steps to create the 2nd
partition HFS boot partition w/ MacOS9 using drive setup, install the
BootX bits, and then start to install from the text install program
on reboot to the "free" space ... assign the sizes for bootloader and
swap slices and then the ext2 partition for linux and then as the
program begins to set up these filesystems., I run into a problem
Unfortunately, as it is working on doing the 2nd or 3rd slice, the
program terminates abnormally, quitting the filesystem preparations
and the installer, leaving me no option but to reboot. I cannot get
beyond this point. Is this a flaw in the installer, or the
partitioning/formatting utility or something that can be worked
around? Have been tempted to locate a 2.5" -> 3.5" IDE adapter and
mount the laptop drive in some other machine to prepare the drive as
an alternative, but that seemed a little extreme. If is is a matter
of the scripts that are running behind the installer failing, is
there a way to boot from some sort of kernel image and tweak these
things by hand? Appreciate any help...
-j
--

Jeff Brendle                Office: 248A Deike Bldg./(814)865-3257/fax 863-7708
Desktop Support Spv.       Home:   #210 Parkgate 349 Toftrees Ave.