Installation Problems on iBook2 w/ Combo drive

Joshua Tompkins yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 10 13:06:02 2002

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C1E0A1.2AA88C10

Hi everyone!

I'm having *serious* problems installing YDL 2.2 on an iBook2.  Here's =
my specs:

iBook2 (Dual USB)
Combo (DVD/CD-RW) Drive
G3 600
386 MB RAM
20 gig HD

And when I try to install, the installer tells me that I don't have a =
cd-rom drive!

There are instructions that are supposed to remedy this on the YDL =
website, but those instructions do not work on my system!  The files =
that I'm supposed to [cat] (based on instructions at <a =
href=3D"http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/cd_id=
.shtml">this address</a>) don't exist, so I can't find my CD device ID, =
which is apparently needed to tell the installer where to find the =
drive.  Using older versions of the installer kernel (as suggested on =
the YDL mailing list) also does not work.

The strange thing is that the kernel seems to find a CD-ROM drive at hdb =
during the bootup process, but the installer still doesn't work.  When I =
add the hdb=3Dide-scsi option to the installer commandline, the =
installer *still* doesn't work.

I'm pretty miffed here, as I actually *paid* for my copy of YDL, and =
didn't buy installation support, because my system was listed on the YDL =
website as fully supported, and so I'm sort of left hanging.

Has anyone else had this sort of problem?  Any tips or suggestions for =
getting the installer working?  This is my first shot at Linux, and I'd =
very much like to get it running on my iBook.

TIA

-joshua

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C1E0A1.2AA88C10

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi everyone!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm having *serious* problems =
installing YDL 2.2 on=20
an iBook2.&nbsp; Here's my specs:<BR><BR>iBook2 (Dual USB)<BR>Combo =
(DVD/CD-RW)=20
Drive<BR>G3 600<BR>386 MB RAM<BR>20 gig HD<BR><BR>And when I try to =
install, the=20
installer tells me that I don't have a cd-rom drive!<BR><BR>There are=20
instructions that are supposed to remedy this on the YDL website, but =
those=20
instructions do not work on my system!&nbsp; The files that I'm supposed =
to=20
[cat] (based on instructions at &lt;a href=3D"<A=20
href=3D'http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/cd_id=
.shtml">this'>http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general=
/cd_id.shtml"&gt;this</A>=20
address&lt;/a&gt;) don't exist, so I can't find my CD device ID, which =
is=20
apparently needed to tell the installer where to find the drive.&nbsp; =
Using=20
older versions of the installer kernel (as suggested on the YDL mailing =
list)=20
also does not work.<BR><BR>The strange thing is that the kernel seems to =
find a=20
CD-ROM drive at hdb during the bootup process, but the installer still =
doesn't=20
work.&nbsp; When I add the hdb=3Dide-scsi option to the installer =
commandline, the=20
installer *still* doesn't work.<BR></DIV></FONT>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm pretty miffed here, as I actually =
*paid* for my=20
copy of YDL, and didn't buy installation support, because my system was =
listed=20
on the YDL website as fully supported, and so I'm sort of left=20
hanging.<BR><BR>Has anyone else had this sort of problem?&nbsp; Any tips =
or=20
suggestions for getting the installer working?&nbsp; This is my first =
shot at=20
Linux, and I'd very much like to get it running on my =
iBook.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>TIA</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-joshua</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C1E0A1.2AA88C10--