3D Rage LT Pro (was Re: Convince me)

Stefan Jeglinski yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 10 20:56:01 2002

>Ok, bear with me... I've never tried to configure X manually before....
>In my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, I see the following:
>

>Section "Device"
>
>   ### Available Driver options are:
>   Identifier      "Card0"
>   #Option         "UseFBDev"
>   Option          "XaaNoSolidBresenhamLine"
>   Driver          "ati"
>   VendorName      "ATI"
>#  BusID                "PCI:0:17:0"
>EndSection
>
>From your file contents below, I can easily tell that you have the rage
>128 mobility chipset... I have a different one:
>
>ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage LT Pro

I have just tried to get accelerated X going on this chip today,
without success so far.

>How can I find out what values I should set for the driver, chipset,
>vendorname, and busid like you did?

VendorName is not necessary. "ati" is definitely the driver to use. I
would have thought that you would need BusID uncommented. Find out
what it is by running lspci (part of pciutils). lspci gives hex
values, enter them in decimal in the config file.

I missed the earlier part of the thread. What are you getting in X so
far? My X is totally messed up, screen goes crazy when I startx.
Anybody got this one working? The composite_sync on/off switch that
finally worked for me on a Rage Pro (not LT), has not done me good
here.

>Oh, and is there something besides Xconfigurator that I can use to
>configure X11?

I've never had luck with Xconfigurator. Robert's suggestions are
humorous, and actually useful if want to write it from scratch :-)
And no, we're not looking for miracles, just a screen to use.

Back on topic, I prefer Xautoconfig4.

Stefan Jeglinski