3D Rage LT Pro (was Re: Convince me)

Kimball Larsen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 10 23:02:01 2002

Ok.. to sum up the important bits of this thread:

I am using YDL 2.2 on a 1999 Lombard Powerbook G3 333 (bronze keyboard)
which has the integrated ATI 3D Rage LT Pro.  It's on the PCI bus.

X mostly works just fine, but I think that there could be some
performance improvements:

For instance, window dragging is a bit choppy, especially under heavy
loads (building large software packages, listening to music, the Gimp
open all at the same time etc..)

Also, the teminal is not particularly quick - for instance, when I issue
the following command:

time ls -la /usr/bin

I get:

real    0m2.492s
user    0m0.210s
sys     0m0.120s

2.4 seconds to complete a directory listing (albeit one that is a bit
large) is pretty long.. I want to improve that number.

I spent a little time today digging on the XFree86 site, and they have a
whole section in the support area under the current version of the X
server dedicated to the ATI chipset.  These cards are supported very
well, and this one in particular will do the on card acceleration that I
am looking for.  Currently, I am convinced that all the video is being
driven my my puny little G3, as described in the docs from XFree86.
(thus the choppiness/performance degredation under heavy loads)

So, I am really just looking for the magic settings that will tell X to
use the card the way it was meant to be.

What are the particulars of your situation?

-Kimball Larsen