RTNETLINK kernel problem with 2.2?

Ron Hale-Evans yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 11 12:27:01 2002

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 07:39:46PM -0700, Ron Hale-Evans wrote:
> OK, I tried the psu.edu mirror with apt-get dist-upgrade, and after
> some futzing with dependencies, it WORKED.
>
> But now my network connectivity is gone.  I can't ping anything, and
> a simple command like
>
>   # ifup eth0
>
> returns the message, "Cannot send dump request.  Connection refused."
>
> I know my iMac can see my Ethernet port; it's there in the logs.  What
> gives?

Googling "Cannot send dump request" shows me that the most likely
problem is that I don't have something called RTNETLINK enabled in the
kernel now.  Please advise.  I cannot seem to find an rtnetlink
module, just a kernel header -- don't tell me I need to recompile the
kernel after my 2.2 upgrade!

BTW, doing

  # ifconfig eth0 up
  # ifconfig eth0

shows me that eth0 is receiving packets.  I just can't *use* them.

Can anyone help?

Thanks...

Ron H-E

--
         Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@ludism.org & rwhe@apocalypse.org
           Center for Ludic Synergy, Seattle Cosmic Game Night,