Yellowdog 2.2 upgrade with apt-get report

Bo Green yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 12 07:32:01 2002

I finally got 2.1 upgraded to 2.2, after having all of the problems
reported in the list previously (with a few still unresolved). First,
apt-get reported problems with MDsums on several packages,
so I downloaded and installed those packages (or removed if a
non-critical app).

Next problem was different dependencies for packages which
had the same version numbers, so I manually upgraded those,
in some cases "rpm -e <package> --nodeps" followed right
away by "rpm -i <package>"!!!!

Next problem was the libcrypt library mismatch, so I upgraded
openssh/ssl manually. Finally, apt-get worked!!

Next problem, kernel 2.4.10 gave me problems at boot about
modutils being wrong version, so I upgraded to 2.4.18, and that
went away too.

Finally, just to be safe, I rolled back my ximian gnome install,
and installed the gnome version which comes with ydl 2.2,
discovering that the ximian version has quite a few features
which are missing in the ydl version. If ximian offers a ydl 2.2
version I will likely upgrade gnome again.

Finally, I upgraded to kde3, which I did manually as well,
take care of all of the dependencies. I was unable to get
apt-get working with kde3, the kde directory wasn't in
software/kde where I thought it would be!

Outstanding issue is that glibc-common is still reporting an
MDsum error, and I have been unable to locate/install an
acceptable version of this package!

Comment: this process was *waaaay* to laborious for the
average user, I would suggest most people just do a fresh
install unless the upgrade process improves.
Bo