YDL 2.2 Apple G4 install problems

David Johnston yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 12 07:45:01 2002

Hi,
I have just tried to install YDL 2.2 on a G4, and to my delight, it all
appeared to go reasonably OK for a days or so (an "everything" install
with KDE) before disaster struck (see 1 below).

I have a few install/config/setup problems that have been puzzling me
and for which I would be grateful for feedback/advice as I can't find
answers in the YDL book, my "running redhat" book or on the existing
list entries.

1.
I am using a contour 3 button USB mouse, it is recognised in the boot
sequence and functioned fine for a couple of days on the first install
attempt. Then the KDE screensaver kicked in for what I believe was the
first time and when I returned, the mouse was frozen in the middle of
the screen. I could use the keyboard to launch apps like Konsole, shut
down etc no problems, but the mouse itself remained locked in position,
despite (a) shutdown and rebooting several times, (b) running setup to
reconfirm as a USB mouse etc (c)  iIn the end I wiped the install HD
and  reinstalled from scratch!, but still the mouse is  frozen
(seemingly in exactly the same place on the screen!). I have tried
putting the mouse on different USB ports on my keyboard hub, directly on
USB ports on the CPU box, using another contour mouse, using the
original Apple (logitec) G4 round mouse, but all to no avail, it is
still frozen out whilst everything around it in KDE seems OK (and all
the mice work fine within MacOs). So a couple of questions (1) has
anyone else experienced anything similar and found a workaround? (2) how
can I kill and restart the mouse driver from within KDE (3) in general,
how "plug and play" is YDL, ieg f I swap ports within a session, will
that screw it up?

2.
In Xconfigurator my graphics card (AGP ATI rage 128) is detected OK and
my default screen (Mitsubishi diamond pro 87TXM) is listed in the
Xconfigurator "simple" setup menu, but no matter what resolution I
select, there was always a variable size of blank screen (several cm)
all around the KDE desktop. I swapped over to, and configured for an
Apple studio display and with this, KDE filled the entire screen no
problems. A custom setup didn't sort the problem, neither did an
advanced custom setup. manually entering the refresh rates. Any ideas
(other than using the Apple monitor!).

3.
Slightly related to the above, when I did have a functional mouse, I
couldn't get Xconfigurator to run from the KDE desktop menus (I was
logged in as root, and I could run it from a Konsole terminal session).
This problem appeared to be simply that the "shortcuts" on the menus
appeared to be looking for "xconfigurator "rather than "Xconfigurator".
Short of making an alias, can I edit the actual entries in KDE menus to
point at the correct program (and how?) A minor point but irritating.

4. On KDE startup I get a couple of sound error messages
"Sound Server informational message
Error whilst initialising the sound driver
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (no such device)
The sound server will continue using the null output device"

and

"Error whilst initialising the sound driver
SNDCTL-DSP-SETFMT failed  - invalid arguement
The sound server will continue using the null output device"

The CD player app runs and recognises an audio CD, but no sound ensues.
(I have the std apple DVD rom drive). As I can't stand silence,  any
ideas at all on this are gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on any of the above, and apologies
for the length of the list . I'm determined to get there somehow.

David A. Johnston
The Natural History Museum,Cromwell Road, London SW7 5BD, England, UK.
daj@nhm.ac.uk