OT: Voodoo3 Mac ROM Flasher

Timothy A. Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 12 13:49:01 2002

At 9:37 PM -0700 4/11/02, Shawn Dunn wrote:
>Hey there all, I'm just throwing this out as a last-resort, does anybody
>have a copy of the 3dfx Mac ROM flasher App for the Voodoo3 2000?  (I'm
>not sure if they're model specific)

Shawn,

Although I got rid of my Voodoo3 a while back, it looks like I still
have copies of the last official Mac driver package (beta 12) and the
unreleased beta 13 candidate that got leaked out after 3Dfx went
down.  These include the flasher app and ROM images for both the 2000
and 3000.  Send me a note to confirm and I'll be happy to email them
to you.

>I'm just in bad need of getting
>something to replace the motherboard video in this 6360, and the Voodoo3
>seems like a perfect fit,

I hope you're not planning to use it for 3D.  :)  In my past
experience with them on Macs, the only place 3D worked was MacOS 8/9.

For MacOS X (yeah, I know, not likely on the 6360), there are no
drivers at all, and under Linux on PPC I could never get 3D working.
Linux/Voodoo3/x86 works, but AFAIK nobody has ever completely ported
the drivers to other architectures such as big-endian PPC.  (It must
also be noted that the Linux V3 drivers are somewhat lacking; they
support little more than the set of GL functionality needed for
Quake.)

>but it's a hell of alot easier, and generally
>cheaper to find a PeeCee voodoo3 PCI than a mac specific version.

Quite true as there never was a Mac specific V3.  :)  The only Voodoo
models with official Mac versions were the V4 and V5.  The V3 drivers
were 3Dfx's way of testing the waters in the Mac market.
--
Tim Seufert