OT: Voodoo3 Mac ROM Flasher

Shawn Dunn yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 12 14:04:01 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: Timothy A. Seufert <tas@mindspring.com>
To: <yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
Cc: Shawn Dunn <sfalken@dumpsterdivers.net>
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2002 1:48 PM
Subject: Re: OT: Voodoo3 Mac ROM Flasher

> At 9:37 PM -0700 4/11/02, Shawn Dunn wrote:
> >Hey there all, I'm just throwing this out as a last-resort, does anybody
> >have a copy of the 3dfx Mac ROM flasher App for the Voodoo3 2000?  (I'm
> >not sure if they're model specific)
>
> >I'm just in bad need of getting
> >something to replace the motherboard video in this 6360, and the Voodoo3
> >seems like a perfect fit,
>
> I hope you're not planning to use it for 3D.  :)  In my past
> experience with them on Macs, the only place 3D worked was MacOS 8/9.

    3D???   HAH!   I actually play NO games, and don't run ANY of the
geegollywhizbang widgets or WM's like KDE, Gnome, or Enlightenment, I just
want something that will display better than 800x600@60Hz, 16bpp  =]   and
I've always had good luck with 3dfx cards  =]

> For MacOS X (yeah, I know, not likely on the 6360), there are no
> drivers at all, and under Linux on PPC I could never get 3D working.
> Linux/Voodoo3/x86 works, but AFAIK nobody has ever completely ported
> the drivers to other architectures such as big-endian PPC.  (It must
> also be noted that the Linux V3 drivers are somewhat lacking; they
> support little more than the set of GL functionality needed for
> Quake.)

    Heh, I don't think I even have OpenGL installed.....    hell, I'm still
using FBDev for video, haven't bothered to try to setup any video drivers
yet......

        --Shawn