crosspost: openssh allows root login by default?

Christopher Murtagh yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 12 18:59:02 2002

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
>I thought root logins were disabled by default? Survey: anybody out
>there with root login enabled that you didn't know about?

 As far as I know, this is the default behaviour. I usually install
openssh by compiling from source, and it has always allowed root access by
default even after installing over a previous version that didn't.
Honestly though, I haven't found a convincing argument to disable root
access via SSH2 (although I *rarely* do it, I much prefer to sudo). I do
however only allow SSH2 and not SSH1.

Cheers,

Chris

--