YDL 2.2 installation is terrible

tz yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Apr 13 10:22:01 2002

I want to install a workstation with many of the network servers, so I
have to do that stage twice.  I have do dismiss the Package XYZ is
already installed and is the latest version hundreds of times.  This is
really stupid.  I don't care that it is already installed.  I should at
worst have an option to rewrite or skip duplicate packages, or perhaps
selecti individually IF I select such an option, but the way it is
currently done (and I do a lot of development and do things like
overwrite my system utilities with busybox instead of the tftpboot
client root).

And it doesn't even let me use my key repeat, I have to play rock band
drummer on my mouse button.  I have to dismiss the same package at least
three times.  But it gets worse...

The first time I did try to install Disk/Workstation and was planning on
installing the rest later.  It died with: "Error ---- Errors running
transaction set!  Please correct this manually".  Ok, how do I do that.
This error isn't mentioned anywhere I can find on your site.  I don't
even know any error details.  I have some stuff on an old ext2 partition
that I don't want to delete, but I've deleted all the main directories.
I have NO LOG, NO FILE, NO PACKAGE, and no other information that would
even let me begin to diagnose the problem.  Then it said "Package
install failed".  I managed to get Base, and then Network server in.

I might even be able to fix it if you would be slightly more verbose.
If everything goes right, no one will need support, but if something
goes wrong, I don't think you have enough info for you to diagnose the
problem.

Unfortunately, I paid for 2.1, and it went smoothly.  This is with the
2.2 ISO image.  YUP was horribly broken, and I didn't want to wait and I
wanted to upgrade anyway.  I also wanted to start using ext3.  Do you
have a CLI version of the upgrade utility since I probably won't be able
to install X for a while?