newbie needing big help

Jonathan Metts yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Apr 14 02:18:01 2002

I am a fresh linux newbie, having installed my first linux system about
a week ago...YDL 2.2.
I am running a G4 533DP with 1.5 GB of RAM.  It has the GeForce 2 video
card and cd/rw drive.  Now, when I say I am a newbie, I mean it by the
true "new" sense.  Macintosh help...I'm your man...Linux....HELP ME!

Anyway, my problems are many right now, but I am going to focus on one
at the time...KDE 3.0.  Now, I am just learning the basics right now,
and am making some progress, but the whole dependencies issue, I don't
understand quite yet.  I am currently trying to upgrade KDE to v. 3.0.
I have heard it is much faster than the version that came with YDL 2.2,
and would like to give it a try, but I can't install it with the
instructions in the README file.  Here is what happens:

[root@linni RPMS]# rpm -e `rpm -qa |egrep ^kde` koffice SDL-devel
error: removing these packages would break dependencies:
	libDCOP.so.1   is needed by kio-mac-1.0-1a
	libkdecore.so.3   is needed by kio-mac-1.0-1a
	libkdesu.so.1   is needed by kio-mac-1.0-1a
	libkdeui.so.3   is needed by kio-mac-1.0-1a
	libkio.so.3   is needed by kio-mac-1.0-1a
	libkssl.so.2   is needed by kio-mac-1.0-1a
	kdemultimedia   is needed by autorun-2.61-5
	kdebase   is needed by autorun-2.61-5
[root@linni RPMS]#

OK, I am a pretty smart guy, but when you are new at something,
everything makes you feel and look stupid.  Now, I don't know if this is
th command to use to get rid of all the old or not, its just what i took
from the readme.  Should i force it with the "nodeps" option, and if so,
what command do I use to install the new kde.  I am a fast learner, but
for right now, I need baby steps.  Much appreciation for the help...I
may have to ask for more....I will have to ask for more.

"Every man dies, not every man really lives"
J.O.N.A.T.H.A.N .M. M.E.T.T.S