Forcing Ethernet speed on the iMac Rev B

Christopher Murtagh yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Apr 14 19:46:00 2002

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Aurel Wisse wrote:
>However, I need to know how to force the NIC to 10Mbps, half duplex,
>because it can't negociate the speed with the router (DI-704P from
>D-Link).

 AFAIK, you can't do this with the BMAC or GMAC driver. Also, from what
BenH told me, BMAC and GMAC are being deprecated. From the linuxppc-dev
mailing list, BehH's answer to someone's questions about SUNGEM:

>>Just for information, why do you consider sungem better than gmac ?
>>What kind of functionnalities is it supposed to better handle than gmac
>>?
>
>no copy, better perfs (after the latest tuning we did), better
>management of link (including fallback to forced speeds if autoneg
>fails, ...), support for ethtool ioctls, better power management
>(especially the chip isn't shut down immediately on ifconfig down, but
>only after about 10 seconds which means a dhcp client will work better).

 So, I've been building my kernels with SUNGEM and not BMAC or GMAC (I
only have NewWorld machines - G4s and an iBook2 - that I've tried this
on). So far so good, the only snag that I've come up with is my iBook
takes forever to time out at startup when it is set to DHCP. I'm sure
there's a config somewhere where I can fix this, I just haven't had time
to fool with it.

Cheers,

Chris

--