Sound Issues

Joe Buczek yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 16 01:27:01 2002

--- Dan Burcaw <dburcaw@terrasoftsolutions.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Here are my notes on various sound issues which you might
> encounter:
>
> CD AUDIO
> On modern macs, CD audio is passed digitally to the sound output.
>  On
> older systems, this was done via an analog cable that connected
> from the
> CD drive to the sound card (or sound port on the motherboard).
>
> This makes conventional CD players like KDE or GNOME provide
> useless. I suspect they are heavily used on the x86 Linux side
> since most PC manufacturers still use the analog method.
>
> The solution for mac owners that haven't been able to use
> conventional
> players is to use software called xmms-cdread.
>
> It reads CD data via the digital signal.  I
>
> A xmms-cdread usage howto is available at:
> http://www.imaclinux.net/gh.php?single=18
>

> KDE SOUND
> Regarding the KDE sound issue... this is the mix between a kernel
> sound
> driver problem and how KDE's sound server handles the kernel
> sound
> driver.  There are two solutions:
>
> 1) install a kernel update AND upgrade to KDE 3.0.
> (http://www.terraplex.com/~dburcaw/kernel-2.4.18-0.9a.ppc.rpm)
>
> OR
>
> 2) configure artsd for 8-bit sound rather then 16-bit sound.
> This can be done from the KDE Control Panel -> Sound -> Sound
> Server ->
> Sound I/O -> Sound Quality -> 8-bit.

I discovered on my YDL 2.1 installation that you can use
Preferences -> Sound -> System Notifications and select the "use
external player" checkbox. Enter "play", and the stock KDE sounds
all work fine. No kernel modifications. No ripping out, fixing,
reconfiguring or otherwise, the artSd sound server. Works for me.

YMMV,
Cheers,
--Joe